Thursday, September 13, 2007

Zen and the Art of Creating a Chicago Show


Wow! This has been an amazing week. It feels like months have gone by with the amount of things that have gone on in preparation for the December 8th show in Chicago.

First off, we have a featured artist! His name is Rex Flodstrom and his paintings are everything I could of asked for as inspiration for the new collection. Thanks to Craigslist, I was able to quickly penetrate the Chicago arts scene from 2000 miles away. I was overwhelmed by the talent that showed up in my inbox from a single post! ...Craigslist --oh how I love thee!!!

Back to Rex. Rex's art spoke to me on a number of levels. Looking through his works, I saw many themes and styles emerging again and again, for instance, the phases of the moon. This quality of recurring themes in Rex's work is what I will draw on to design the next collection. As a designer it's exciting because within the repetition lies an opportunity for expansive creativity in the clothing. The unity in Rex's work is creates a foundation where its limitations support artistic flow.

Rex's style is to divide the canvas by horizontal plains where he begins from the bottom-up with: ocean, people, farmland, mountains, sky, clouds, sun and moon. Each plains' shapes are numerous and uniform---masses of people solely differentiated by color, otherwise all the shapes are the same, dido on the mountains, and the clouds...oh the clouds! They remind me of Colombian painter Botero; plump and yummy, slightly infantile yet so compelling.

I've had a chance to talk to Rex about his process which is described here:
He paints life through his soul. He strives to capture moments in time and emotions that come forth. Various forms of spirituality and and the patterns in nature influence him. An expression of universal form and spirituality is felt within the brush strokes. Many pieces are inspired by the naturally occurring rhythm and geometry of our world. His paintings convey oneness and unity, while hinting at multiple realities beneath the surface. His art expresses something words cannot begin to account for. He observes the work as meditations created for this physical realm. (Excerpt from a show at Metaphors Gallery Arlington, Il).
Check out more of Rex's Art

So is it any surprise that I am drawn to an artist who is exploring deeper forms of reality that connects us all? On a personal note, this year has been pivotal for me in understanding my own sense of oneness with the universe. (pause here for reflection). Hot damn! Vagadu's first line is going to be loaded with style and soul...literally!

En fin, I am excited! My creative team headed up by Lauren Hume are truly inspired to make Rex's world wearable. Next week we start on production ....this is were things get juicy! The designs start becoming real, so come check in next week to see sketches and other insights, and of course meet the design team.

No comments: