Thursday, September 20, 2007

Save the World, Follow Your Dreams!



Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go and do that. Because what the world needs are people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Isn't it funny when life throws you little curve balls to test your convictions and reasons for doing your chosen profession? It just happened to me, and although I had a completely different direction I was going to take this week's blog, this is on the forefront of my mind and it is important for me to share my experience as a creative person/entrepreneur but also a world citizen.

I watched a movie this week called Zeitgeist. You can watch it online and after two friends sent it to me I decided to finally give it a look.

I am still recovering.

To explain what I mean, my friend Brandon summed it up nicely by saying, "It makes The Matrix, Fahrenheit 9/11, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Brave New World, V for Vendetta, The Island, et al seem like watered down Sunday morning cartoons. Tells an interesting story connecting religion, finance, politics and war. Enter at your own risk. "

He was definitely right about the risk. This film paints such a profound sense of corruption and foul intentions that are at the bottom of our culture that I was left feeling utter despair.

I was left coming to terms with the notion that a powerful business/media/government elite were complicit in brainwashing the country into a state of fear in order to promote war abroad and destroy civil liberties at home. The movie provided a sweeping new take on the reality of so much that has gone wrong in our country in this new century. And with awareness, I had to ask a question about my own responsibility. How can I just sit here with the information I hold & watch everything going on today? How dare I create fashion when I could be out in the streets educating and mobilizing our communities? I felt selfish for even having the desire to create my art, my passion.

But that's just it. Society may be corrupt, scandalous and greedy. There are so many pressures on all of us to fall into line, to work in soul-crushing 9-5 jobs, to dutifully shut up, consume and be content. My hat goes off to those folks that this schedule and lifestyle works for, but it's not for me.

They say the personal is political and when I found a paradigm that fit my social, political and artistic desires, it felt right. Vagadu is my dream. And I am going for it. Doing Vagadu for me is positive change. As a citizen I recycle, compost, go to thrift stores,....so my company recycles and creates beautiful clothing from the excesses of consumerism. The events celebrate local artists, and embrace them in a form that allows outsiders to experience their art through different mediums and senses. Vagadu is not just clothing, it is an experience and a community builder. And although it maybe a fun experience, it is NOT entertainment. Television has brought a lot of good in the world however, it has taught us to always seek out entertainment, that allows us to sit back and watch. Passive. Not Vagadu-- art is bi-directional. You take part. You wear it. You hear it, eat it. You will be inspired to make your own. It is a celebration of creativity, art and the belief that the world is good and that people are good.

Movies like Zeitgeist are important and useful tools to get people thinking outside the box. And although I don't agree with everything in it, or even it's approach, it is definately worth watching. However, for me, its message is too dark and actually leaves me with the same feelings I get after watching local evening news....cynical, paranoid and ineffectual. I believe if we all focused more attention on the good, the beauty of the planet and our species, that love not fear, would inspire us into action. We all have gifts to share with the world, but few of us take a chance, dare to fail, dare to shine, to live the life we always wanted.

I may not be Cindy Sheehan or Al Gore in my way of contributing to society, but I am so happy doing what I do, and it is contagious. Wouldn't it be revolutionary to live in a world where everyone woke up in morning completely excited to go to work? Every person felt realized that they were living their passion? It would be another planet.

So there you have it. A simplified idea of salvation, but for me, Vagadu allows me to give back. It's ironic when I say that because Vagadu is also my mother's name. So, just like my mother gave me life, Vagadu sustains my soul.

2 comments:

Jay Montgomery said...

Vagadu,
I saw the Zeitgiest a while back and had the same reaction as you. I love it when people start thinking outside the norm. I'm a true skeptic and very open minded and liberal. But as for the first part of the video you might find this website helpful regarding the truth of Zeitgiest. There are a lot of problems with the video.
http://www.alwaysbeready.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12

eugie said...

Go for it girl! Fabulous - love you projected into the world - your heritage digested and reintegrated and resourced into your art form - just wish I could be in Chicago - mom, grandmother Virginia and grandfather Varda - awesome -

Love, Eugenia