Monday, April 6, 2009

Rope: An exciting new way to use it!


On VAGADU I like to take time to showcase interesting and creative work by the people who collaborate with me. This week my intern Sarah is on the spotlight.

Sarah is attending SF State, and for one of her classes they asked the students to create a garment out of non-traditional materials. Last year, my intern Megan--who also took the class--created a dress out of deflated bike tires. Other than the constant smell of rubber, it was a fun idea that really pushed her and the other students to think outside the box.

For Sarah, rope was the material of choice and as you can see from this picture here, and she sure knew how to manipulate it.

She isn't sharing all secrets on how to make this beauty, but I will tell you that she completely stitched the dress together by hand. I know she isn't lying because she came to the studio for weeks with raw fingertips! Note: Don't kill your fingers! When sewing with rope use thimbles!

I love this idea because I think we all could find or discover rope in our garage, at our parents house or wherever. It can be cheap, and is durable. If I had made this dress I might have hot glue gunned it, (depending on what it was for) just to save time, but ideally, thread is the couture way to do it.

No comments: